The first External attribute is the S of SCALE which stands for Staff on Demand. If you want to embrace this attribute I suggest taking a look at this great open source tool developed by the ExO Ecosystem and the Growth Institute. You can also read Chapter 3 of Exponential Organisations.
Staff on Demand (SoD) refers to people who work for you when required. SoD is about leveraging the talent of people that do not work for you full time. This is not traditional outsourcing but rather leveraging talents that you do not require in house. This allows your organisation to be flexible and to grow at pace with adaptability and agility.
No Matter Who You Are, Most Of The Smartest People Work For Someone Else
Staff on demand can range from one off and specific job functions through to vital to the business model. Airbnb and Uber’s business models are built on SoD. You do not have to use SoD to this level in order to benefit from it.
There are a number of online tools and platforms that you can use to leverage skills outside of your organisation. I suggest that you do some googling for the skill that you require and you will find everything from Accounting to Coding and Design to maintenance. Some well known examples include Upwork, Top Coder, Kaggle, 99 Designs, Fiverr, Task Rabbit, Roamler, M4Jam. You can also use tools like craigslist or gumtree to find people.
Some important things to take into account when using SoD:
- Be very specific with regards to the requirements of the task in order to receive the outcome that you want.
- Ensure that you have an awesome MTP that will attract the best talent
- Build your community and attract SoD from within your community
- Ensure that you have “knowledge capture” built in to your SoD in order to not lose any insights. Having good interfaces can help with this!
- Experiment first and then scale
If you found this interesting or helpful then share it and leave a comment!