I wanted to take some time to write a post about the importance of family. In December 2017 our family were lucky enough to spend Christmas together in George. That meant 2 parents (I think Grandparents is what we have to call them now 😜), 7 Children (4 siblings and 3 spouses) and six grandchildren for a total of 15 people, two of those people are under one year old right now.
We spent two weeks together and it was magical. Was is plain sailing? The answer is most definitely no but that is not the point. We are all individual people and it is amazing to be able to love one another despite all your differences. As siblings we realised that we are there to support one another and decided that we would ensure that we communicate better especially given that we live in different cities. We were challenged to be open about things in order to encourage closer bonds.
I am so privileged to have a family that are so close and will be there no matter what. This is not a fact to be taken lightly as it makes a massive difference in the confidence of people and their likelihood of success in life.
It saddens me to think that there are families out there that are split apart because of misunderstanding and ignorance. This situation does require openness from all parties and I guess when that is not possible it is sometimes better for there to be a split in order for a healthy family relationship to be built.
Human character and behaviour are such complex topics and I wish we could have a quick fix for people to take a positive standpoint in life as at the end of the day it is about the individuals first. I always encourage people to understand themselves first and how they can be the best self first. We live on an amazing planet with so much to be grateful for. I am not advocating head burying but rather to face up to adversities as challenges that can be overcome with diligence and positivity.
It is not always easy and many times I have to remind myself to take a dose of this medicine, but I believe if you are conscious of the fact that for you to have the best life possible then you have to make that happen.
Give that some thought and always be looking for solutions!
Welcome to 2018. This year the last generation to be born in the nineties will mostly head off to university or into the world of work. A reminder of how time seems to be accelerating and how exciting it is that they have grown up in a technological age, for them there have always been computers. I am looking forward to 2018 and what it is going to entail.
I thought that I would give some of my thoughts with regards to what we may see happen in 2018. This is all my opinion some of which is informed by what I see and read, some that is just intuition and gut feeling and some irresponsible babble.
- Blockchain and cryptocurrencies will continue to become more mainstream as the user experience continues to improve. We will become more and more comfortable with the use of smart contracts to remove the need for third party agents.
- Augmented Reality will continue to grow although I do not see there being mass adoption of glasses worn all the time in 2018. I am excited for the world where I can get information streamed into my field of vision rather than having to take out a phone to check something on Wikipedia or look someone up on LinkedIn.
- Automation of many job functions will continue to rise throughout 2018 as many functions become more efficient for AI and computers to do. Medical AI will play a major role in improving health in many poor areas of the world.
- An extra 1 000 000 000 people will experience the wonders of the internet thanks to the reduction in the price of mobile devices and the spread of cheap, ubiquitous internet.
- More and more items will continue to become internet enabled thanks to the increase Sigfox and 5g coverage across the globe.
- Nomadic lifestyles and a rise in global travel will be experienced as there is a shift to more affordable global experiences.
- Use of renewable energy will continue to rise as we start to see a positive move in global warming data. Not only are renewables better for the environment they are more cost effective providing the earth with every to more people than ever before.
- A global debate will take place on the use of global health records to be mined using advanced algorithms to help us to better understand and diagnose disease early.
- The data collected by wearables will begin to be used to assist more people to be healthy and move towards preventative healthcare. The use of insidables becomes something more and more people are getting comfortable with.
- World power dynamics will continue to shift towards previously emerging economies and a call for use of non violent means for conflict resolution becomes a hot topic
- Trump will leave the office of the president of the United States.
- We will see a rise in the number of wealthy people giving back. As the inequality in the world continues to widen the top 1% will bee the potential legacy that they hold in their hands to shape the world that we live in by making it a more equitable place.
Well that was fun. I believe that I could have come up with quite a few more but that is where I will stop. I encourage all people to look towards a technological future in which we are all better off… that really excites me.
HAVE A FANTASTIC 2018 AND LIVE YOUR DREAMS!
What an interesting year I have had in 2017. Many exciting things that happened a few disappointments but most importantly understanding more about myself and what I am capable of as well as the fact that the world is full of people who want the best for themselves, their families and their community. In 2017 I started my own company with Rikki Jack and left the confines of permanent employment. I worked long hours and looked after my body, well at least for the first 9 months of the year. I was not as creative in terms of visual design work as spare time was at a premium. 2017 saw the birth of two more Nieces and sadly the passing of my Gran, an amazing woman who is such an inspiration.
I was privileged to end the year off with a great deal of travel, something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I visited 10 different countries (France and Switzerland don’t count I guess as I did not leave the airport) on 27 flights going around the world three times, flying for one week.
All the Travel was for work with Wealth Migrate launching global offices and attending blockchain events. The travel was on three separate trips.
- London for a week, flew in through Dubai
- Dubai for 3 Days
- Athens for 3 days where I spoke at a conference on Crowdfunding in Africa
- London for 4 more days, the flight was through Zurich both ways but I did not get to leave the airport.
- Athens for one day before flying back to Cape Town through Dubai
- Atlanta for 2 days
- New York for 3 Days
- Connecticut for 2 days to visit my Aunt, Uncle and cousins there, some for the first time in many years
- Las Vegas for 5 days
- London for 2 days
- Gibraltar for 3 days I actually stayed in the Alcaidesa Marina, La Linea de la Concepción, Spain
- London for 2 days after which I flew home through Paris but unfortunately could not leave the airport.
- Brisbane for 5 days
- Sydney for 18 days with my Brother and Sister and two amazing Nephews
- Tokyo for 5 days
- This trip was with Emirates so went through Dubai on both ends of the trip
This travel was my first international travel so talk about starting off with a bang :-). Travel should be compulsory for people to do in order to get an understanding of the world that we live in, the fact that we are all more similar than we think and that a global viewpoint is so powerful. I would recommend to anyone to travel, the world is so full of opportunity and traveling abroad gives you massive perspective.
I read and listened to some amazing books for the first time in 2017: The Upstarts, Stealing Fire, The hard thing about hard things, Leaders eat last, Whats your moonshot and busy with Finding my virginity. I also reread some of my staple favourites such a Bold, Exponential Organisations, Anything you want, Positive Intelligence, The code of the extraordinary mind and Pitch Anything.
As part of my 2018 goal and vision setting I have made it a point to write more things down whether these are public in the form of this blog or whether it is just in private will remain to be seen.
Have a fantastic 2018!