The first of the internal exponential attributes is Interfaces. In Chapter 4 of Exponential Organizations you can read more about this.
Interfaces bridge the external and internal attributes, they take all the data created by the SCALE attributes and make sense of this internally. Interfaces ensure maximum efficiency and give stakeholders the ability to automate processes. It is for this reason that interfaces are mission critical for ExO’s to scale.
A good example of an effective interface as described in Exponential Organisations is that of the Apple App Store. The App Store allows the nine million strong developer network to develop apps and submit these automatically to the App Store, these are ranked and categorised automatically and this has allowed Apple to scale the App Store to where it is now. From January to June 2018 Revenue generated by App developers was over $100 Billion.
Interfaces are required to manage abundance, mainly to filter and match. The thinking that is required is quite different to the business processes that are put in place to manage scarcity and efficiency.
Exponential Transformation indicates 6 steps to implement Interfaces within your business:
- Identify the sources of abundance you are Accessing
- Humanise the interaction to define the right UX or automate the interaction to define the right API
- Create standardised processes
- Apply algorithms to automate processes
- Test interfaces with pilot populations
- Update interfaces regularly
Some questions that you can ask to ensure that your interfaces will be successful are:
- Will the interface allow the business to Scale
- Do the interfaces create value?
- Can all of the SCALE attributes be enables with interfaces?
- Is the effectiveness of algorithms and automated workflows being measured?
- Are interfaces engaging users?
The interfaces that you create for your ExO are most likely going to be specific for your company. You need to look at what can be automated and how the abundance of information needs to be filtered and matched best to optimise your business process. Look at the interfaces of Google Adwords, Airbnb, Uber, etc. to get a better understanding and get going on creating interfaces that optimise the abundance outside of your organisation allowing you to scale.
If you find this helpful then comment and share this with people in your network. If more organisations can tap into abundance we can ensure that we improve the planet for all!